Yoga can be extremely beneficial for you to improve the quality of your sleep as well as enhancing the duration of your sleep hours because of its combination of physical exertion and relaxing meditation.
Sleep deprivation and stress are closely linked and can form a vicious cycle that can make you feel irritated and tired. Moreover, having sleeping problems every night can make you feel more frustrated and anxious about bedtime, which makes it even harder for you to calm your mind enough to fall asleep.
This is where yoga comes in…
Ways in which yoga can help you sleep better
- Yoga tires out your body: As we know that Yoga can be physically challenging, so it can cause fatigue. This is partly why yoga can improve your sleep because it tires your body, so it becomes easier for you to fall asleep.
- Yoga calms your mind: Yoga allows us to relax and de-stress through meditation, making it easier for our minds to go to sleep at night. Yoga is a perfect remedy for stress relief, and meditation helps to clear the mind. By doing yoga for 10 minutes daily before bed, you’ll see precisely how yoga can improve the quality of your sleep.
- Yoga relaxes the nervous system: Yoga poses like Uttanasana, Halasana and Savasana can help you increase the blood flow to the brain’s sleep centre by decreasing activity in the nervous system. As a result, your nervous system relaxes and encourages your mind to unwind from the day’s tension so that you can sleep better.
- Yoga revives your body: The breathing rhythms involved in several yoga poses can help you increase the oxygen level in your blood by eliminating the toxic materials, which results in the rejuvenation of your body.
By focusing on your breathing, you can distract yourself from your regular and tired routine by reducing anxiety and stress, which contributes majorly to improve the quality of your sleep.
Some pre-sleep yoga poses you must try before bed-time
- Balasana (child’s pose)
- Janu Sirsasana (head to knee pose)
- Baddha Konasana (bound angle pose)
There are numerous benefits of yoga; not only does it help to improve some serious sleeping problems such as insomnia, but yoga can also help you to improve your physical strength along with flexibility, breathing, mental focus and can also reduce stress.
For sure, even if you do enough yoga for at least 10 minutes in your calming bedtime routine, your sleep is only ever going to be as good as the bed you sleep in.
Win a Yoga Exercise Mat
To help you take steps to improve your sleep this year, you can enter for your chance to win a yoga exercise mat.
Prize: Yoga exercise mat
To enter simply complete the Gleam widget below, all entries are optional and each one completed will gain you more entries into the random draw.Yoga Exercise Mat (AFFT)