Having a nice living room for the Christmas season adds to the spirit of Christmas and makes the house so much more enjoyable to come home to after work. There are a few ways that you can decorate your living room for Christmas and the setup should usually last from the beginning of the month until maybe mid-January.
Ideas on how to decorate your lounge for Christmas
1) Have a theme! If you only use Santa Claus as the theme, you will make a mistake because Santa is only important on Christmas Eve. Santa can be a supplement to another main theme, such as bells or snowmen and these example themes can be used for the entire month of December and into January. A theme will give you the setup on how you can decorate your living room for Christmas.
2) Use string or something similar around your living room and hang lights from it. Lights don’t necessarily just have to be outside and that one candle that you have been using for thirty years in the window is getting old. Stringing up some lights for the living room will add to the Christmas season in such a personal way and every day will remind you of the great holiday to come.
3) Buy a Christmas mat or rug! If you can afford it, you could buy a nice Christmas carpet and only use it for the season, but a rug or nice mat would be a great way you could decorate your living room for Christmas. A colourful, Christmas mat or rug is another way to feel like Christmas lasts a lot longer than one day and these are not too expensive of an option.
4) Decorate your living room with Christmas candles that have not just the look, but the Christmas scent. There is something about the fresh aroma of a Christmas candle as you walk into your living room and the look of the candle will add to the Christmas scene taking place in front of your eyes.
5) Have Christmas curtains if possible! That old, orange curtain may not match with the red and green Christmas theme, so if possible, have some curtains that are only used for Christmas.
Photo Credit: Giulia Bertelli Element5 Digital
Some great ideas in here. I have the Christmas candles out, but would love Christmas curtains!
I love the idea of having a grown up theme but I’m not sure it’s possible with kids around! At the moment we just let them decorate, one day I have a theme!